Wanlockhead
 Wanlockhead, at 1531 feet above sea level, is the highest village in Scotland.
Built in the early 19th Century, it was the home of lead mining families.
The photographs below show the village on a rather dull day of rain and drizzle.
Many of the original house still exist but have been extensively modernised.
Evidence of the leading mining past; machinery, diverted waterways and slag heaps, are all around.
The dull grey bulk of the church stands out among the painted cottages of the modern village. With boarded up windows and sagging roof, what was once the centre of the village now stands neglected.  There may be some hope for its preservation in that there are plans to incorporate it into the Museum of Leading Mining which is the present centre of focus in the village.  Such hopes are always dependent of the funding being made available.
 A 19th century photograph of Wanlockhead showing the church.  Today there is no sign of the belfry.
Thornhill
Website Owner  :  Ian McClumpha  : imchad@freeola.com
Photographs by:  Sandy Pittendreigh Copyright  2000
Last modified:
December 31, 2005
Whithorn